- Can only be used over gas/propane flame or oven.
- Don't have a gas stove? We recommend purchasing an Iwatani butane burner and using your Donabe right on your dining room table. It's more fun that way anyway.
- Small (1-2 people)
- Size: 10" W – incl. handles x 4.75" H
- Capacity: 25 oz (about 3 cups)
- Weight: 3 lbs.
- Large (3-6 people)
- Size: 13" W– incl. handles x 7" H
- Capacity: 84 oz. (about 10 cups)
- Weight: about 6.5 lbs
Not exaggerating: these clay pots from Japan have changed our lives for the better. Made to be used directly on an open flame, in the oven, or even on a barbecue, this handmade clay cookware is a portal to a fresh, easy and flavorful style of cooking that's made for gathering people around the table.
The Hakeme style Donabe is your go-to for hot pots, soups, stews, shabu-shabu, braised meats, and vegetables. The word "Hakeme" indicates a traditional style of decorating pottery with slip applied with a brush - that's what gives this pot its beautiful, swirly surface. And the lid can also be flipped over and used as a serving dish!
All the Donabe we carry come from the Nagatani-En Pottery in the Iga region of Japan, an 8th generation workshop where the porous clay made up of ancient volcanic ash makes for beautiful pots that conduct heat slowly and evenly.
For the most delicious nabe meals, don't forget to grab you a Donabe Cookbook and Excellent Dashi.